Friday, August 24, 2007

Another step towards the pump

We had our meeting with the child psychologist on Wednesday. For most families they schedule a separate meeting with the patient. I am told that many teens come in and say that they are only there because their PARENTS want the pump and they don't - that's a sure-fire way to get your pump process put on hold.

The meeting was fine. They asked some questions about how treatment was done. I think they were impressed with how much we've learned and how far we've come in 5 months - yes its only been 5 months but the longest 5 months of my life. The only recommendations they had were:
- Get her a medical ID bracelet - the shoe tags just on the sneakers were enough; and
- At some point in the future, Emma may not WANT to wear a pump. Now is a good time while she is more resiliant to change.

So, they forwarded out to the CDE that the appointment was completed so we could move to the next step. The next step is getting the pump ordered, which means going head-to-head with the insurance company. We want that started as soon as possible because I know there will be rejections and fights and lots of phone calls. Unfortunately, the CDE is out until Tuesday. So, it will be almost a week from our psych appointment until the process can start. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but when you get up every night at midnight and 3am, and often have to have juice and peanuts in the middle of the night, every day that takes longer is painful. The psychologists feels that we SHOULD be able to get rid of the 3am checks once we get all the settings tested and tweaked (about a month after we get the pump). I will always make sure I change her infusion site in the AM so that we have to day to make sure we have a good site and once we see that she's not typically messing with it in the bed, we might actually be able to sleep. What a novel idea.

Other than that, her days have been relatively normal. Today she got up from her nap and while I wasn't looking (I've been suffering from a pinched nerve in my shoulder for days, so sitting on the couch in pain) she got the Goldfish crackers out of the closet and took them on the porch and served herself a snack. It hadn't even been 3 hours since lunch, I hadn't tested her or counted out her food. A test for me. I tested her right away, guessed at how many she might have eaten and tried to dose based on how much insulin was still in her system from lunch, what her reading was, and how much she ate. WAY too many variables and she went low a bit later - but Mike was checking because of this and caught it with juice. Little rascal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you and Emma love her pump as much as I love mine. It has really changed my life and I feel normal. It is the best thing I ever did. Just remember that all things mechanical can and will go wrong at some point and you just have to remember what we did before the pump!