Friday, January 18, 2008

CGMS trial - Day 1

We are doing a one-week trial of a CGMS for Emma. With a few episodes of undetected lows (and I mean LOW), we wanted to see how this works. The practice we are with is pretty anti-CGMS but they do the trials. I'm hoping after the trial that we can talk to them about maybe a periodic use of it.

So, we went into Children's Hospital this morning to start the trial. Didn't start off well, with Emma spiking over 500 at 3 hours after breakfast, I assume from a bad site, so I went ahead and changed it.

Insertion went well. Not even a little peep out of Emma when the nurse put it in. We got her all hooked up and ready to go.

Calibrating it was a bit "off" at the beginning because we didn't wait until 2 hours to eat lunch, so I tried to enter the first BG before lunch and it didn't want it because it hadn't been 2 hours. It then asked for it at 2 hours, and I know it wasn't stable because she had finished eating about 45 minutes early. But I put it in.

I got 2-3 high alarms over the next couple of hours. The meter readings were actually pretty close to the CGMS and I finally corrected after she appeared to not be coming down. So, we finally got a little into the groove.

When Emma was ready to go to bed, we rigged the receiver for the signal to the railing of her crib, lashed to the baby monitor so that I could hear the alarms. Here's what it looks like:



So, the first night was a little screwy. We got a "low" alarm and the CGMS said 116 going down. We tested her and she was 41!! So, it didn't quite catch that low!! We then proceeded to get a few "low" alarms throughout the night that were pretty off from the meter. One time the CGMS said she was 80 going down and she was actually 120. I actually recalibrated at that point to see if it would catch on and be a little more accurate.

No comments: