Thursday, October 25, 2007

Another rough night

So, after getting Emma's BG down yesterday morning and her ketones back to trace, we had a relatively normal afternoon. She ran a bit high but I just corrected and she was fine through dinner.

But, then she didn't come down much after her dinner dose and hit 400 again and stayed there. So we gave her a correction and waited a couple of hours. After she didn't budge, we ended up doing a site change and another correction in the new site. Her ketones were up to 2.4 already. She stayed awake for a little while that time (after not going to sleep until after 10pm).

She woke up in range this morning - but barely - she was 84. But, she still had ketones in the high moderate range. Treating ketones with low blood sugar is tough - because the way you treat ketones is with insulin. And the way you treat a low is sugar WITHOUT insulin. So, I had to get a lot of carbs in her, to get her up above her target range, so I could then correct her and give her enough insulin to clear the ketones.

I got her back down in range for lunch with no ketones thankfully. She's upstairs now taking a nap with an increased basal of 20% (which is typical - I just hope its enough).

And all of this because she has a low-grade fever - and no other symptoms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
I happen to stumble upon your blog. Thought I would write to you. My five year old son William was diagnosed with Type 1 almost one year ago. We just started pumping about two months ago and he started kindergarten soon after. I read your posts and can completely empathize with you! Especially trying to get rid of the ketones:)When William got the stomach bug on two different occasions, he had to be hospitalized for ketones!!!!! I pray he stays healthy this school year.
I hope your daughter gets better soon. I will be praying for her:)
I'd love to hear from you. I live in Forest, Va and here is my email address. brsgillespie@msn.com
Ruthie Gillespie